Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Heather Kuehl - Q & A


I am so excited to have Heather here in a Q and A here at Razlover's Book Blog.

Heather is currrently touring to promote her new release “Promise to Keep" and she also is the author of "Fade to Black".

For more information about the books, please visit:

http://sites.google.com/site/malevolentdead/

Please take it away, Heather!

1. Tell us what your books are about?

My most recent release, entitled PROMISES TO KEEP, is about Starlette DeFore. Starlette knows her father is alive, even though her family buried him ten years ago. And when a faerie confirms this she travels to Charleston, South Carolina to hunt down Sivad Night, the only person to have ever escaped from the hands of a powerful sorceress, The Dark Lady Dreashae. With help from a witch they travel into Verella, a fantasy realm filled with centaurs, dragons, and magic. Starlette is very close to finding her father, but first she must defeat Dreashae. Will Starlette, a mere mortal, have the strength needed to finish her quest and save her father?

FADE TO BLACK is the name of my other book. That one is about one of my favorite character, Sarah Vargas. Werewolf bounty hunter Sarah Vargas has only one goal in life; to kill the Were that attacked and changed her. However a slew of werecreature murders send Sarah and her partner, Jared Fontaine, on the mission of their lives, ending with a discovery about Jared’s past that might destroy them both.

Both of these are available now from Eternal Press: http://www.eternalpress.biz/ Or you can get your print copy from Amazon.com

2. How did you first become interested in writing?

It was a writing assignment in sixth grade that got me interested. We had to create stories about how the holidays were created. I think mine was about a unicorn creating Easter. Our teacher had us illustrate them, and then she laminated the covers and bound them for us to give to our parents. I can remember the way I felt when I saw my name “in print” and I knew that I wanted to write. I knew that I wanted to see my name on a book inside a major bookstore.

3. Do you write on schedule?

I’ve tried, but I just can’t. I have a sixteen month old son that wants 100% of my attention at all times. I do what I can when he naps, but I usually get the brunt of my writing done after he goes to sleep for the night. The only thing I do on a schedule that’s writing related is updating my website and online information. I wake up before my son so that I can get all of that completed.

4. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what type of music do you listen to and why?

It depends on the character. When I wrote PROMISES TO KEEP music only distracted me, but when I wrote FADE TO BLACK I needed that bass pounding in my ears. However, I can never write in silence. To me, silence is like looking at a blank page and it’s too easy to get nothing done.

When writing FADE, I listened to Evanescence’s “Fallen” for the first half of the book. Amy Lee’s lyrics said exactly what Sarah was feeling. But once Sarah discovered Jared’s secret, it was Avenged Sevenfold’s “City of Evil.” To explain that would give too much away; you’ll just have to read FADE TO BLACK to discover the reason why.

5. What are some of your favorite authors or genres?

I love to read what I write, which is paranormal/fantasy/romance. Some of my favorite authors are Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

6. What's on your next to do list?

Well, I just finished writing MALEVOLENT DEAD, the sequel to FADE TO BLACK and the second book in the Sarah Vargas series. I’m still editing it, making sure I’m happy with it before I start submitting. I’ve finished the outline to BLOOD MOON, the third and (possibly) final book in the Sarah Vargas series. I plan to have that finished by July.

A full list of my works in progress can be found on the main page of my website: http://sites.google.com/site/malevolentdead

7. What genre would you like to write?

Before I started getting books published I wrote short stories, many of which you can find published in various online ‘zines. I’ve dabbled in almost every genre and I have to say I love the one I’ve settled into. Paranormal/fantasy/romances allows you to write about anything. I can write about vampires in dark allies one moment and dragons flying through the sky in the next.

Thank you Heather for being here today answering my Q & A, I greatly appreciate it!

3 comments:

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

What a great interview ladies!! Thank for bring to my attention a new author to me!!!
Ms. Kuehl, your books sound very intriguing!

Maggie Dove said...

Great interview, Heather. I don't know how you manage to turn out bestsellers and such great books while mothering a 16 month old baby. I take off my hat to you!

Heather said...

Thank you Cecile!

Maggie, there are days when I step back and I can't believe that I'm still writing. I guess when you have a dream nothing will stand in your way; not even dirty diapers and a demanding child. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails