Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Guest Post - Loucinda McGary

I am so excited to have Loucinda McGary Guest Post to talk about her amazing Mexican Cruise trip here at Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews.


Some of you may already know me as the irrepressible and sometimes irreverent Aunty Cindy of the Romance Bandits, or from my own blog, Aunty Cindy Explains It All. If so, thanks for visiting. If you are a newcomer, thanks even more.

I enjoy books in many different sub-genres, but currently I am writing contemporary romantic suspense with paranormal elements.

A life-long avid reader, I write the kinds of stories I like to read – stories with danger, romance and a touch of the unexpected. I like to read and write about wonderful, far away places and people not so very different from me or someone I know. My characters must overcome physical and emotional obstacles, sometimes risk their lives, and eventually discover love.

Always love.

Basically, I'm a romantic at heart and there's nothing I find more satisfying than two people achieving their own happily-ever-after. I believe that you, my readers, feel the same.

Blessed with the gift of "Irish Blarney" Loucinda McGary (everyone calls her Cindy) became a storyteller shortly after she learned to read. If she didn't like the way a story ended, she made up her own ending. In high school, between history and algebra homework, Cindy wrote stories featuring herself, her friends, and their favorite movie and rock stars. After college, she published a couple dozen poems in "little magazines" (the equivalent of e-zines in those pre-internet days) and even wrote a couple of novels. Then life intervened. Family and career became her top priorities, though she could never quite stop dabbling in writing. Also along about this time, vacations became a must and she developed an almost legendary love of travel that took her all over the United States and abroad in one and two week stints.

A long-time reader of romances, Cindy discovered and joined Romance Writers of America in 2001. But her stressful career as the manager of a multi-million dollar State and Federally funded program prevented her from doing much writing or traveling. She still managed to squeeze in a little of both, but not enough of either to be truly satisfying. Finally, at the end of 2003 she decided to take an early retirement from her career to fully pursue her twin passions of travel and writing. Cindy likes to set her novels of romance and suspense in some of the fascinating places she has visited.

Books:

The Wild Sight



An Irish tale of deadly deeds and forbidden love


Since he was a wee lad, Donovan O'Shea possessed a gift of clairvoyance that allowed him to see and hear people and things that others could not. Viewing his ability as a curse he could not control, Donovan fled to America, but now after fifteen years, he has been forced to return to the family homestead in Northern Ireland to handle his ill father's affairs. Decades earlier, Donovan's mother disappeared into the encroaching fens and was never seen again. Now the same fens are offering up secrets, both ancient and recent, and restoring a terrible legacy that just may drive him mad. And if this is not trouble enough, a beautiful woman walks into his life, claiming to be his half-sister.

Rylie Powell never knew her real father. Her mother would only say he was a charming Irishman who seduced her, married her, and then abandoned her and his baby daughter. But after her mother's death, Rylie finds tantalizing clues about her father that send her off to Northern Ireland and an archeological site on Dermot O'Shea's property, the man listed on her birth certificate as her father.

Did Dermot O'Shea father both Donovan and Rylie?

What is Donovan's connection to the Celtic High King Niall of the Nine Hostages?

And what secret do the fens hold that invites murder?

The Treasures of Venice


A passion they never expected, a danger they cannot escape.




Somewhere amid the canals and palazzos of romantic Venice, a beautiful damsel is in distress. Held against her will, her fate depends upon unraveling a centuries old mystery. Also in this ancient city of love, two couples separated by over 500 years, defy both church and state as they challenge destiny to be together. And all find themselves inextricably linked to the Jewels of the Madonna.

For more information about each book, please visit

http://www.loucindamcgary.com/
http://auntycindy.blogspot.com/

Please take it away, Loucinda!

Cruising, Relaxing, and Writing Inspiration

Everyone who meets me quickly learns that I am a travel fanatic. I’ve visited 47 states and 26 foreign countries over the years, but lately most of my travel has been on cruises. I absolutely love being able to visit several different exotic ports without having to move my luggage or worry about where I’ll be eating my next meal (and don’t get me started on how wonderful the food is on most cruises). Plus, in between ports of call, I love to just hang out and relax.

I recently completed my 14th cruise, and my DH has us signed up for two more before the end of the year (see, told ya I love to cruise)! Except for the week I spent in Washington DC attending the Romance Writer’s of America’s National Conference, this was my first major trip all year. I’ve been chained to my computer writing my third contracted book for Sourcebooks Casablanca, so I really needed this eleven day getaway to beautiful Mexico.

Only it turned out to be Hotter Than Hades Mexico! We encountered 100+ degrees (Fahrenheit) temperatures at every one of our five stops. UGH! But it didn’t stop me from having fun! This was my ninth or tenth cruise to Mexico (I’ve lost count) but this time we stopped in a couple of places I’d never visited before, which I always find exciting!

Our first stop was a tiny fishing village on the Sea of Cortez called Topolobampo. There really was nothing at the port except local shrimp boats and a huge gasoline storage facility from which they shipped fuel all over northern Mexico. The tourist attraction here is a train trip through the Copper Canyon area. Actually a series of canyons on the scale of the US’s Grand Canyon, the shore excursion was 18 hours and started at 5:30 a.m. Another fact people quickly learn about me is that 5:30 a.m. and I NEVER belong in the same proximity! Not even on paper! So I opted not to go on the excursion.

Instead, I rode the lovely air conditioned shuttle bus thirty minutes inland to the town of Los Mochis (means “the turtles”). Unlike tiny Topolobampo, the city of Los Mochis has over 100,000 residents and boasts several universities. However, they are not used to seeing American tourists, as I quickly found out. Also, by the time I arrived at shortly after 11:00 a.m. it was already over 100 degrees! UGH! I quickly located an indoor, air conditioned mall and sat myself down to people watch.

After about half an hour, a beautiful young woman (and I’m talking the kind of beauty people turn their heads to stare after) walked over and asked if she could sit on the bench next to me. She asked, in English, if she could sit down and I said sure. She had a slice of pizza (her lunch) and when she finished it, she shyly asked, “May I practice my English with you?” I quickly agreed. Turns out she was recently graduated from a local University with a degree in business but has, thus far, been unable to find a job. She had studied English for a couple of years but didn’t feel she was fluent enough to find a job speaking and reading it. She said, “My father told me to get out and practice speaking with some tourists, and you are the first one I’ve seen.” We talked for almost an hour, and I hope I helped her. She certainly gave me ideas for future female characters!

The next day, we stopped in the city of La Paz, also on the Sea of Cortez but on the long skinny arm of Baja California. La Paz is a resort town, and definitely more used to seeing tourists because every other store along the waterfront sold either “cold beer” (yes, they had an Applebee’s across from the marina) or T-shirts! Again, it was excruciatingly hot, but at least if I stayed near the water, which was a gorgeous turquoise blue, there was enough breeze to make it bearable.

Unfortunately, I wrenched my knee getting off the shuttle bus in La Paz so my sightseeing was seriously curtailed at our next two stops. Luckily, by the time we reached Cabo San Lucas, I was pretty much recovered. Having been to Cabo many times, I already knew the best air conditioned places to hang out. But the most interesting thing about this visit was that there were five cruise ships in port that day! I’d never seen more than three. And the thing that made it so remarkable is that the harbor in Cabo is too shallow for the ships to dock. They all have to anchor outside the marina area and shuttle passengers to shore in small boats called tenders. Standing on the dock and looking out at five massive ships sitting just beyond the harbor was quite an impressive sight (and perhaps fodder for a future story)! And all the T-shirt and beer vendors were in nirvana!

So even if on the surface, this was an eleven day vacation full of rest and relaxation, I never know when someone I met (a beautiful girl with curly black hair) or something I’ve seen (five enormous ships all sitting at anchor in a small area) or experienced (horrible heat) might turn up in one of my stories. But I do know I’m seriously considering making the hero of my next novel be a security officer on a cruise ship!

Loucinda will be visiting and answering any questions you might have so please participate, thanks!

Thanks for guest posting on my Blog, Loucinda I greatly appreciate it!

24 comments:

Cheeky Girl said...

Hi Cindy!

I've had my eye on Treasures of Venice for awhile...Need to make sure it's on my shopping list next time!

I'm also excited to read about your Ireland inspired story. I just got back from my first trip there and fell under it's spell.

Like you, I love to travel! It's what the hubby and I save and live for every year. We try to do two-three trips a year and then a weekend or two within our state. We love it!

Thanks for the lovely post!

Cassondra said...

Hi Aunty Cindy! (waves madly from the RB lair). I could use some of the warm and sunny and Ocean-breezy today. It's breezy here, but it's cold and rainy breezy. Blech.

Normal for late October in Kentucky, of course, but I miss summer terribly. It went by too fast. And your cruise stories always make me long for the sea. I've never been on a cruise. It sounds wonderful! What do you like best about cruises rather than other forms of travel?

Sharon Lathan said...

You irrepressible or irreverent? Nah! Just your wonderfully charming self. :)

You got me thinking seriously on the cruise. Next spring, I think. Thanks for the website for cruise deals! I now have it bookmarked. You must let me know how it goes with taking a laptop. You may write your next masterpiece with an Irish hunk finding love at sea!!

OK, Loucinda's books are AWESOME, and I am NOT saying that because she is my friend and fellow Sourcebooks sister. Great reading on both counts. I can't wait for the next one. Keep it going, Cindy!

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hi CheekyGirl!

I hope you enjoy both books.

I'm JEALOUS of your trip to Ireland. I haven't been in awhile and it is such a wonderful place! My DH has relatives in Northern Ireland and that's why I set The Wild Sight there instead of in the Republic.

We used to travel more before we retired. :-P What a conundrum! You either have the time or the money but never both. Oh well...

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hey Cassondra!
(Aunty waves madly at her Bandita) Great to see you here!

I heartily recommend cruises! You can do as much or as little as you want. You never have to move your luggage. The food is FANTASTIC! Where else can you get stuff like creme brulee, escargot, oysters Rockefeller, souffle... the list goes on and on.

And the staff can NOT do enough for you, even if you're in the lowest level of cabins. What's NOT to love?!?! Once you try one, you'll LOVE IT!

AC

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hey Aunty Cindy! Swinging over from the Bandit Lair to say howdy!

(Nice chandeliers here. Good for swinging!)

CheekyGirl, Treasures is FAB-U-Lous. You'll love it and Wild Sight. Promise. And if you're in love with the Fair Isle, oh, MAN will you love Wild Sight!

Hey Cassondra! (Waving madly at another Bandita) Grins.

I've been on one cruise and I really did like it. Went with a girlfriend. I think I'd like going with a spouse better...Bwah-ha-ha!

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Sharon!
HUGS to my Sourcebooks Sister!!! Thanx for the compliments on TWS and TTOV. My next book, The Wild Irish Sea will be released in July.

And if you like historicals, you will LOVE Sharon's Darcy Saga novels! They go waay beyond being sequels to Pride and Prejudice. They are so full of wonderful historical detail and the characters are GREAT!

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hey Duchesse!

Another Bandita swinging by is always a welcome sight! I probably should have warned Raz how much we like chandelier swinging. :-P

Thanx BUNCHES for your compliments, Jeanne, and for your wonderful blurb about TToV (which you can read on my website)! If you love stories with things that go BOOM you MUST read Jeanne's Dark and Dangerous and Dark and Deadly. FUN STUFF!

AC

Anna Campbell said...

Cindy, you turn up in the most interesting places! Oh, I envy you all your travel - as you know, I'm a fellow itchy footer. I've seen quite a lot of western Europe and Australia but there are so many other wonderful places to see. These days, I'm quartering the U.S., thanks to RWA conferences! I've got a month in the US next year and I'm hoping to see lots of new places. Can't wait!

Congratulations on THE TREASURES OF VENICE!!!!

Nancy said...

Cindy, what a fun post! I loved The Wild Sight and am looking forward to The Treasures of Venice.

I also hope to take a cruise one day, if/when I can talk the dh into it. So what would you recommend someone taking a cruise for the first time be certain to do (or not do?)

BTW, there's a La Paz Mexican Restaurant not far from my house. I'm betting the real thing is more atmospheric.

Raz, thanks for having Cindy!

Helen said...

Hi Aunty Cindy

I so love hearing about your travels I just wish I could do more of it maybe one day.

As for your books they are fantastic reads that gave me hours of pleasure and for anyone who hasn't read them go get them they really are awesome

Have Fun
Helen

Trish Milburn said...

Your recent trip to Mexico sounds really neat. You are perhaps the most traveling person I know. :)

Beth Andrews said...

Hey, AC! Great post! I would love to go on a cruise, especially in the cooler months. By the middle of January I'm ready to escape winter :-)

Congrats again on The Treasures of Venice! Can't wati to read it *g*

Cheryl Brooks said...

Yep, I can honestly say that the books are terrific! WTG Cindy!

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Fo, THANX sooo much for stopping by on you Launch Day! SUPER CONGRATS on Captive of Sin!!! Can't WAIT to read it!

There are so many places in the US I haven't yet seen! But RWA conference do allow you to see some wonderful cities... Atlanta, San Francisco, DC, and next year Nashville! WOO HOO!
And I'd LURVE to come back to Australia one day soon.

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hey Nancy!
Another Bandita popping by!

The only bad thing about cruises is that the food is so wonderful I seldom eat anything on shore. So I don't know what the food was like in La Paz (which means peace, btw). :-(

My advice for first time cruisers is don't try to do everything, even if you would like to! Esp. at the beginning of the cruise, PACE yourself so you won't be exhausted halfway through. Also, do NOT believe the hype about all the stores the ship pushes you to patronize. The ship gets KICKBACKS from those places and the quality of their merchandise is no better or worse than any other place. :-P

There will be some GREAT DEALS on Caribbean cruises in your neck o the woods after the first of the year, Nancy. I hope you can talk your dh into giving one a try.

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hi Helen!
(Aunty waves to her #1 fan!) Thanx so much for you wonderful words of praise for my books.

One of these days I'm going to show up on your doorstep there in Sydney and then we will head up the coast to Ms. Campbell's place! We will have a BLAST!

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hi Trish and Beth!
TWO more Banditas! HURRAY! Raz, did you know that with 6 Banditas you get eggrolls?!?! LOL!

Trish, for someone who doesn't fly, you do a LOT of travelling! We'll just have to get you over that flying phobia so you can visit some GREAT places like Hawaii, Oz, the British Isles... Are you tempted yet?!?!

Beth, I think the middle of January would be the PERFECT time for a cruise to the Caribbean! We'll snag Nancy and as many other Banditas and Buddies as we can! I'm ready...

AC

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

HUGS, Cheryl!!!!

BIG THANX to another of my Sourcebooks Sisters for saying such nice things about my books. And anyone who wants a fun, sexy, romp of a read simple MUST pick up The Cat Star Chronicles!

AC

Donna MacMeans said...

Cindy sorry to find you so late. Just wanted to say that I can't wait to read Treasures of Venice. It's here on my TBR pile - waiting for my "cruise" next month to Jamaica (it's not really a cruise, but given the blog topic - I thought I'd call it one). I'm such a fan of the Wild Sight that I can't wait to dig into this one.

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Hi Donna,
Glad you made it even if late!

I'm jealous because I haven't made it to Jamaica yet! See, you are one up on yer olde Aunty?!?!

I hope you enjoy TToV as much as you did TWS. So far it is a pretty even split from readers on which book is their favorite. :-)

AC

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Wow never expected that many people to come here to check out AC's Guest Post!

Glad to see everyone having fun and participating!

I would love to do this again!

Hi Nancy!

You're welcome!

Thanks everyone!

jo robertson said...

Hi, Cindy, I'm way, way late getting to the post but I love when you talk travel, hee hee!

You've been so many places and have such an amazing recall for detail that pops up in your books in such the right dosage.

Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy said...

Thanx again for inviting me Raz! I'd love to come back again... My next book is due out in July (hint, hint) but of course, I'll come back ANY TIME! ;-)

Thanx Jo-Mama! You've taken some pretty fabulous trips too. Now if we could just dump our DH's (but not their check books) for a week or so and book ourselves a cruise...

AC

Related Posts with Thumbnails