Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bill Walker Guest Post

I am so excited to have Bill Walker here to talk about how how he became a published author at Razlover's Book Blog.

Bill Walker is a graphic designer specializing in book and dust jacket design, and has worked on projects by Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Between his design work and his writing, he spends his spare time reading voraciously and playing very loud guitar, much to the chagrin of his lovely wife and two sons. Bill makes his home in Los Angeles and can be reached through his web site, http://www.billwalkerdesigns.com/

Book:
A Note from an Old Acquaintance



Brian Weller is a haunted man. It's been two years since the tragic accident that left his three-year-old son dead and his wife in an irreversible coma. A popular author of mega-selling thrillers, Brian's life has reached a crossroads: his new book is stalled, his wife's prognosis is dire, and he teeters on the brink of despair.

Everything changes the morning an e-mail arrives from Boston artist Joanna Richman. Her heartfelt note brings back all the poignant memories: the night their eyes met, the fiery passion of their short-lived affair, and the agonizing moment he was forced to leave Joanna forever. Now, fifteen years later, the guilt and anger threaten to overwhelm him. Vowing to make things right, Brian arranges a book-signing tour that will take him back to Boston. He is eager to see Joanna again, but remains unsure where their reunion will lead. One thing is certain: the forces that tore their love asunder will stop at nothing to keep them apart.

Filled with tender romance and taut suspense, A Note from an Old Acquaintance is an unforgettable story about fate, honor, and the power of true love.

Please take it away, Bill!

In my journey towards becoming a published author, I worked with a few freelance editors, who were instrumental in teaching me some very valuable lessons. One of them, a retired gentleman with a very impressive résumé that included stints as an advertising and publishing executive, taught me one in particular that I thought I'd impart. During one of our sessions, he asked me a pointed question one day:

"Bill, do you like to write?"

My answer was immediate: "I love it. When I’m in the midst of a story or a novel, I can't wait to get going every morning."

He chuckled and said, "Then I would never have hired you to work as a copywriter in my agency. I always found the ones who hated to write did the best work by far."

Needless to say, I was mortified and his words festered in my mind for a long time. Was I destined to be a mediocre talent just because I happened to love telling stories? Here I was working doggedly to learn the craft and now I'm being told that in order to be truly good at it, I should hate it.

Well, here's what I have to say about that: "Bollocks!"

Sure, perhaps there were great authors who couldn't stand to face that blank page every day, but I'd be willing to bet they weren't all that prolific and no matter how great they are or were at their craft, some of that contempt has to come through onto the written page. But I've also read about many other writers who proudly profess to love it. Stephen King and Dean Koontz are two that come to mind. And their work is memorable, entertaining, and thought provoking—all the benchmarks of truly great writing.

In thinking of that editor's words, I came to realize that for myself, I've always found a way to stop doing what I don't like. For me, I have to truly love something in order to put in the time to become truly good at it. I don’t care if it's writing, guitar playing...or gardening.

My advice to budding authors out there is to ignore discouraging moments like this and let nothing stand in your way. Follow your dreams and your inspirations. Learn as much as you can by reading AND writing, for if you don't exercise those writing muscles, they will atrophy. Writing A Note from and Old Acquaintance was truly a labor of love and the culmination of all the years of hard work and rejection. To this day, I'm very glad I ignored what that elderly gentleman said. For me writing is more than just a job, it's a calling.

Bill will be visiting and answering any questions you might have so please participate, thanks!

Thanks for guest posting on my Blog, Bill I greatly appreciate it!

4 comments:

Bill Walker said...

Just want to thank you for hosting me. It's very much appreciated.

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Okay.. not my normal read, but this sounds like a very interesting and intriguing book. Raz, you know how to find some new to me authors. And you always pique my interest! I will be going look this book up! Thank you! And thank you for having him over!

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Hi Bill,

You're welcome and I was glad to host you!

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Hi Cecile,

Glad to hear you enjoy my Guest posts and you're very welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails